Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Mark's experience

When Mark talked about his experience with computer labs and the special classroom management of this type of class, I was very interested. I thought that every Pedagogy courses should be like that class we had, it was interesting and, compared to other things that we learn in ESL Pedagogy, useful!

There is one thing that Mark said that I am still thinking about. The part where he said that the principal didn't believe his wife, he/she went on the parents’ side and left Mark’s wife alone. That made me realized that a teacher has to know the direction and know how the direction reacts before doing anything. I had the chance to talk about that fact with the teacher I'm doing my practicum with and she told me that she had to deal with the direction once at a school she used to work in. There was a huge problem in her class and she decided to deal with it in a way that could not be accepted by every parent. She told me that the direction wanted to meet her to talk about the solution she had found. At first, she was scared. She didn't know what could happen but when she entered the principal's office, she realized that everything was okay. The direction wanted to know every details of the story to be able to explain them to the parents. They trusted her and wanted to make sure that the parents understand why she was reacting this way.

I think that it is important for the school to trust its teachers, but it is also important for the teachers to trust their school.

No comments: